Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Dachshund back problems
weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, I'm new here... I have 6 dachshunds, one of which has paralysis at the lower back. He is incontinent of his bladder so he wears a diaper. He is seven years old and became paralyzed on September 1, 2008. My husband built him a wheelchair - oh his name is Bubba. He is the child of my heart (along with the other 5). I am hoping that someone here can guide me in how long I can let him be in his wheelchair during the day. I don't want to cause him to have sores on him from the hind leg support straps. He is so happy when he gets in the wheelchair. He has not changed in his behavior since prior to becoming paralyzed. He had two weeks on Prednisone and crate rest, when the vet had me start reducing the dose of Prednisone since he was not getting any better. Unfortunately, surgery was not an option because I simply don't have the money to pay for it. I know, from reading on the internet, that many dogs that are paralyzed can live full and happy lives. Had he been miserable and in pain, I would have released him from his body to go be with God in heaven. At this point, he still tires easily since he is only using his front legs to propel himself in his new "Bubba Truck", so I take him out of it after about fifteen minutes and let him rest. Any advice will be appreciated.

Posted on: 2008/9/29 1:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

weenie on a walk
From Wisconsin
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Bubba's Mom,
I have a wiener dog who uses a wheelchair. She has had her wheelchair for over 2 years now. When she is home, she is not in it too often. She only uses it when she is out and about. From what I know through www.dodgerslist.com forum usually 8-weeks strict cage rest is recommended, even if they don't have surgery. My little Frankie (girl) also is incontinent so I express her bladder for her.
And yes, they can live, full, long, quality lives even if paralyzed. Frankie is very happy. She gained some mobility back after about 9-months. In the mornings she has more energy and will hop with her back legs. Otherwise she scoots... but she is happy. Just kind of watch Bubba for sores to determine how long or too long for his cart.
I'm so glad you are giving him life. That is wonderful to hear.
Barbara (Frankie, the Walk 'N Roll Dog's Mom)
www.joyfulpaws.com

Posted on: 2008/9/30 13:15
www.joyfulpaws.com

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From LIVERPOOL UK
Group:
Registered Users
Provided the areas where the dog comes in contact with chair are covered in sheepskin then work up the time gradually to get them used to using other muscles to propel themselves about, always check for sores each time you take him out of the chair.

Keep him out of it till they heal,letting the skin break down makes it hard to get it it to heal,the lack of sensation in the dog means they won't feel the sores forming.

I hope your dog gets some movement and sensation back before long.

Rhona

Posted on: 2008/9/30 15:38

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
We are about to adopt our foster boy, Sam, who has been downed since Jan 08 and is also blind. He was surrendered to our rescue in May when his family decided they could not provide the care his required. We have found that carts are a great thing but that our guy does really well without it for the most part. We only use it when we are going for a long walk. He does not use it at all around the house or in the back yard. He scoots and gets around great. He is a doxie/poodle mix so I am able to let the hair grow longer on his back legs to keep him from getting any sores from scooting. We have also done foster care for a little girl that had no function at all in her rear. She did get sores easily. We used a scoot sack for her and also wrapped her legs with gauze and vet wrap to protect them. She was so mobile that we built a ramp out of the back door and she would use that and go out the doggie door with the other guys. Once your pup builds up some strength in it's front legs then I think you will be amazed at how well they can get around without a cart. I also think that it encourages them to use whatever functioning they still have left in their rear legs. It's important that you make them do as much for themselves as possible.
Check out Sam's Youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg_W-gbgh2s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=372qdgMpZ9Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJRZZYK2mcY
also his dogster page:
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/786717

Posted on: 2008/10/8 10:24

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you so much for replying, everyone! It has been about 3 weeks since I posted my question; I'm sorry I haven't checked unitl now.

Bubba uses his cart only outside. In the house, he scoots around or sits on blankets or in a chair. He does seem to be getting some movement back to his legs . When I change his diaper, he decides to punish me by pooping on the floor... yuck. But, I think this is a good thing as he obviously can control his bowels now. I still leave the diaper on him, because when he needs to go potty, he simply can't wait. He can wag his tail now (I'm so happy for that) and yesterday when he was sitting in the floor, I noticed that he was up on his knees - I was VERY encouraged by this! I don't expect anything miraculous, but hopefully he will recover enough that he won't need to use the diapers any longer.

Again, thanks so much for advice and words of kindness. This has been nearly as hard on my as it has been on Bubba.

This is a picture of my Bubba.

Becky

Attach file:

jpg  Dogs 2 005a.jpg (59.71 KB)
5333_48fd6638e37a8.jpg 1273X994 px

Posted on: 2008/10/21 2:21

ultimate hotdog
From Iowa City, IA
Group:
Registered Users
Bumping away the ads!

Glad to hear that Bubba is making progress!

Posted on: 2008/10/21 16:26

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index