Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

My dog just tried to bite me
dachshund denizen
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
So as i came back from checking the mail. I found my dog on the counter eating the cheese i had sliced. I have no idea how he got up there but when he saw me he knew he did something real bad because he place his head down and proceeded to find a way to get off the counter. I of course said "bad doggie" and he right away started to show me his teeth and growl at me. I of course did not want to get bitten but still in a firm voice directed him into his crate but the whole time he was showing me his teeth and growling at me. Why is he behaving this way? Talk about biting the hand that feeds u.

Posted on: 2008/12/18 18:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: My dog just tried to bite me
Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Nw Arkansas
Group:
Registered Users
When Bratwurst does this to me, I feel she is trying to "out do me" for the alpha female spot. I confidently go closer and do the "biting" with my fingers on her nape of the neck. I lay her down on her side and firmly placed fingers. I kneel beside her until she summits or completely relaxed. Can take a few minutes to accomplish. The main and most important thing is to feel that you are in complete control, you are not angery or fearful, AND you are so confident that you project that through your body language. I've only had to do this a couple of times. I use to not know what to do either and then it started to get more frequent (and ONLY with me). Then I saw this displine way on the Dog Whisper with Cesar Millan.

Posted on: 2008/12/18 21:53

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Why is he behaving this way?

Because he knows he can! He feels that he is dominate over you. A few things you can do when he is not directioning dominance toward you:

When you feed him, take his food bowl away after a few bites. Hold it, play with the food, act like you are eating it if you want. Then allow him to eat again. While he is eating, scoot his bowl away from him and put yourself between him and the food. Make him wait. Do this every time you feed him for a while.

When he is sleeping peacefully on the sofa, walk over and sit down in his spot. Make him get off of the sofa.

If he sleeps in the bed, do the same thing. Let him get comfy and then make him move so that you can be more comfortable than he is.

If he ever growls at you again, do not be scared, immediately reach over and take him by the scruff of the neck and growl in his face with the meanest, lowest growl you can muster while starring him in the eye. Then hall his butt to the crate for a time out. Once you let him get away with this behavior, you have told him that he is the boss. It is up to you to fix it. Don't yell at him or hit him. Growl at him. He will understand.

This stuff sounds silly but you are telling him in dog language, HEY BUDDY! I AM THE BOSS!

I have used this type of training with all of my dogs from puppyhood. I can do ANYTHING with my guys, cut their nails, express anal glands, give baths and they would die before any of them would ever bite me. It is all in helping them understand that YOU are the alpha in your home. Try it and let me know how it works! Good Luck!

Posted on: 2008/12/18 22:39

dachshund denizen
From South Shore, MA
Group:
Registered Users
wow... really good advice here!! I will have to remember this stuff, although Katie is very sweet and doesn't usually do that, it is still good to know this in the back of your mind...
Thanks!

Mary
PS: MyRuffy: Your kids are adorable!!!!

Posted on: 2008/12/18 23:09

wiener wonder dog
From NY
Group:
Registered Users
My sister's dachshund did this to me once. I use a lot of the techniques mentioned above, plus he goes into his crate for a time out. My sister's dachshund, who is in my siggy, Baxter, jumps up on the counter to eat food up there. I think he does it more because my mom is very nervous around him, and he feels like he can dominate anyone now. My sister usually sticks her hand in his face when he's showing his teeth, walks towards him, tells him to sit, and then tells him to go to his crate, which he does. This has worked great for her. It puts him right in his place.

I like Tia's advice. I do a lot of that. Molly would NEVER growl at me, and if she did, I would put her in her place pretty quickly. Dogs are like family, but they still have their doggie instincts!

Posted on: 2008/12/19 0:43

weenie on a walk
From Orange County, SoCal.
Group:
Registered Users
While dogs are very intelligent animals, they are bound by their limitations as well.

First of all, while dogs *do* understand *words*, they do not comprehend *language* as spoken by humans. This means that a phrase like, "Would you like a cookie?" doesn't have the same meaning to a dog as it would to a human.

Perhaps the dog may associate "cookie" to a treat, thus causing it to get excited, but the dog does not understand the grammatical nor syntactical structure of "Would you like a cookie?" Nor does the dog understand if you're asking a question or making a statement.

Additionally, dog's don't ponder limitless possibilities of cause & effect. Their brains just aren't wired to ponder information and situations that an average human would.

So, this is just a long winded way of saying that if you want to control the behavior of your dog, you must do the following:

1. formulate a response that you dog will understand.
2. time the response to an action that has happened so that the dog understands that your response is in direct response to his action.

For #1:
Words are pointless. Dogs, like most animals, understand non-verbal communication much more than verbal communication. Dog's don't say words like "I'm going to bite you" nor write angry emails or una-bomber dissertations.

Dogs raise the hair on their backs, raise or lower their tails, crouch like a predator about to pounce, or raise their heads and ears in a dominant way. All of these are physical gestures aimed at communicating to other dogs and animals, including humans.

So, to communicate back to an animal that understands this kind of body language, you need to do the same. This means your body language/physical posture, and physical action will be better understood than words.

Don't say, "Hey, don't bite me anymore when I'm giving you this cookie!" Your dog won't comprehend a single word you've said, except for maybe "cookie" and get all excited.

Always ask yourself, "If I were mute, and could not speak, how would my communicate my disapproval?" And reduce that human response down to something a dog would understand.

For example, putting up a finger and waving it side-to-side as if to say "no" wouldn't do much to communicate to a dog.

Instead, that same finger used to jab a dog, as if simulating a bite or an attack would get your more mileage.

For #2:
Dog's don't understand that they're getting punished for what they did 2 minutes ago, let alone 2 hours or 2 days ago.

If you were growled at 2 minutes ago, your chance to correct the behavior was lost 1:59 minutes ago.

You must time your response so that the dog understands what he/she did *just then* is what caused your response.

If you don't time the response properly, your well formulated non-verbal communication will be useless and wasted.

I think too many dog owners anthropomorphize their pets' behaviors, and subsequently, without much success, attempt to communicate to dogs as they would communicate to humans.

And, with all that said, I'm just as guilty of treating our puppy like a human.

But, I know the error of my ways!

I'm off my soap-box now

Posted on: 2008/12/19 4:23

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From LIVERPOOL UK
Group:
Registered Users
My 3 growl at each other but never at me, I leave them to sort out the pecking order amongst themselves, occassionally if the growling goes on any longer than the warning grumble I will call the name of who ever is doing the growling, this breaks up any arguments as they all come to see what I want.

I agree that you need to show your dachsie who is boss, if you show you are scared of him then he has the upper hand and the incidences will become more frequent.

You must have very low counters in your kitchens, my 3 haven't got anywhere near getting on to mine, not even Rhuari who is bigger than the girls.

Rhona

Posted on: 2008/12/19 7:30

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
Has anyone dealt with Pepper Creek Ranch or PCPUPS ?
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index