Thanks for your concern Bette. He started having this be fore that. Speaking about bathing. SHould I bathe him with something special?That could help? I bathe him that day the last time.That was New Years Day.I used a Puppy Shampoo.
I would switch your puppy shampoo to see if that is the culprit.
An oatmeal shampoo for puppies is good, or Johnson's "No More Tears" baby shampoo as you need one that is very gentle and also won't sting their eyes.
I got a really good shampoo from my vet that he suggested I use when Baxter had a very bad allergic skin reaction to a lawn pesticide. It is extremely gentle and does not sting his eyes. You might want to ask your vet to suggest one for Apollo as over shampooing him can cause dry skin and that can cause itching too.
I haven't been on in forever, and missed this post, but I wanted to assure you...
We give this to Keller and have been for years. We even use the "Equate" brand. Same ingredients, little cheaper. The dosage that our vet told us to use is 1 mg/ 1 lb. Keller weighs 75 lbs, and one tablet is 25 mgs, so he gets 3 tablets.
Keller has horrible food allergies as well as contact allergies. The little butt-munch is allergic to 13 types of grass, pollin, ragweed, U NAME IT!
Good luck with the Benedryl... it should definitely make a difference!
Our vet had us giving 12.5 mg (which is 1/2 an adult pill) to our 16 lb dachshund when she had hives, every 4-6 hours. I thought the pills were easier as I just put them into a piece of cheese or glob of peanut butter and away they went! If she took it without a fuss I gave her a little bit of canned food as a special treat (mine only get dry normally, except for the little old man who won't eat unless he has wet mixed in, lol). As everyone already said, call your vet first to verify the dose. They really shouldn't need you to come in for a question like this so it won't take too long. One thing I know for sure is to be very careful that you don't give any Benadryl with artificial sweetener in it (such as the children's chewable). I was told artificial sweetener is poisionous to dogs.