Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 »

Re: House Training your Dachsie
dachshund denizen
Group:
Registered Users
just wondering if this would apply to a full grown dog I got Dodger on Monday so 2 days ago to find out he is not house trained he has been going on the pi pad every now and again my guess is because it smells. He's also done outside but most often it's on the carpet Dodger turned 1 on April first

Posted on: 2009/4/8 22:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Quincy, MA
Group:
Registered Users
tjm_aqua - try putting your doxie in the kitchen with a baby gate if you have to be gone for long periods of time.

Put his crate (door open), water, food, pee pad (in a holder if he is still chewing) and a few safe toys.

That way if your pup has to go potty, he can go on the pad, or the floor, which is easy to clean until he gets the hang of going on the pee pad only, and still have his crate to nap in.

Baxter is trained to go both on a pee pad for inclement weather and also to go outside. He prefers to go outside, but will go on his pee pad if it is freezing out or raining cats and dogs out.

To train your pup to go on the pad, keep him in your view at all times, and when you see him start to circle or look for a spot, gently place him on the pad.
Once he goes, give him a nice treat and PRAISE him a lot!
It will take some repetition of this, but he should get the idea after a while.

NEVER yell or punish your pup for accidents as that will only make him nervous and have more accidents. It actually has a negative effect on potty training.

Feeding on a schedule helps you know when your pup has to go as a young puppy will have to go poo within a short time after eating as his tummy makes room for the food.

Leave the TV or radio on while you are gone for background noise so he thinks you might still be in the house too.

All day is just too long for any dog to have to be kept cooped up in a crate.

Bette and Baxter

Posted on: 2009/4/9 21:13

dachshund denizen
Group:
Registered Users
unfortunatly for gates, my whole apartment is open concept so that's out of the question, this morning, Dodger went out on the balcony for his poop but I didn't see him do it...

Posted on: 2009/4/10 12:20

weenie on a walk
From Downingtown, PA
Group:
Registered Users
I read a lot of the posts in this topic - and I hate to post another question related to it because it seems like almost everyone has the same issues with house training their dachshund (and I get that they are really hard to house break). But anyway....

My dachshund, Ammo is now 6 1/2 months old (and neutered). He's the first dauchshund - let alone small breed dog I've had - and its never taken me this long to house train. I'd say he's about 90% house trained right now - its this last little bit I'm having difficulty with.

I have successfully taught him to ring a bell to go outside - which he does perfectly in my apartment, hasn't had an accident in a long time, will even hold it when I'm gone for several hours, and I never need to crate him (he's always hated the crate so I never crate trained him). He's even pretty good when I take him to my parent's and my husband's parents house with no issues (with no bell there he instead will sit at the door or jump up at it).

But my problem is happening at work. I own a small shop in town, and ammo accompanies me everyday along with my parent's lab mix, Trooper (who I might add will hold it forever if need-be). (also both dogs are male) I keep them both behind a gate in the back with me, and I've hung a bell on the gate for Ammo. Now the issue is, Ammo will successfully ring the bell when he needs to go and then sit by the gate. Sometimes I can't take him out right that second if I have a customer (I usually have to put up a sign and lock the door in order to leave), and if I'm not quick enough he will do his business on the floor. I don't understand why he will hold it at home if I can't let him out right away - but at the shop its a different story. The other problem I'm having is submissive peeing. When he was real little if a stranger would touch him he'd shrink down and do a little pee on the floor (sometimes flopping on his back as well). Everything I read said don't yell at them, it will only cause more issues later in life, the dog will eventually grow out of it or stop when neutered. Well he's been neutered and now its almost like he's using being pet as an excuse to go inside. It seems as if when he has a full blatter and a stranger touches him he will proceed to go on the floor (he doesn't do this all the time - its usually when he really needs to go - he has improved some since he was really young). And he will do this "submissive" peeing anywhere (apartment, work, other's houses).

so I'm not sure how to get over these little "humps" in his training. My first thought is to work with clicker training (I clicker train horses to perform tricks - but for some reason I usually don't with my dogs). I thought if when I take him out at work I click/reward everytime he pees. I'm not sure if it will work or not - my fear is he will be ringing the bell all the time because he just wants to take a trip outside to "get his treat". And for the submissive peeing I thought if I worked on making him sit to be pet -which is always so difficult at work because customers ALWAYS reach over the gate when I'm helping someone else to pet the dogs.

anyway - sorry for the long post - does anyone have any suggestions for me? I don't really want to use pee pads. And my shop is completely carpeted (I did just today spray it down with rubbing alcohol like someone suggested)

-KD
www.ponypaintings.com

Attach file:

jpg  n26602747_33405714_3101.jpg (51.13 KB)
6075_49e7437d3ed78.jpg 604X403 px

Posted on: 2009/4/16 11:41

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Quincy, MA
Group:
Registered Users
Six and a half months old is still quite young and his bladder is not fully developed in size and strength yet to be able to hold his pee when he says he has to go, so if you can't get to him quickly after he has so nicely rung the bell, it is not his fault if he goes on the floor.

If you can't get to him, try putting down a pee pad for him to go on, but you have to train him to go on them with treats and repetition, but once they get the hang of it, they work great.

As for submissive peeing. Make sure you or anyone does not get him excited when greeting him and do not pet him or give him attention until he has calmed down.
This is hard for a puppy to do though and for your customers since he is so cute!

Another option is to keep him in a nice cozy crate when customers are in the store or you can't get to him quickly and let him out when they leave.

Bette and Baxter

Posted on: 2009/4/16 12:01

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
Hello! I am hoping for some perspective/advice. I have a black and tan miniature smooth -- Huckleberry -- who will be 5mo this weekend. I was working part time when I got him and when I moved for a full time job, I hired a dog walker to spend at least 45 minutes with him every day at noon while I was at work. This means he's left alone from 0700 to maybe 1300 and then from 1400 to 1830. I'd been leaving him crated with a blanket and a bone. He seemed to be doing fairly well, but then I noticed he was peeing on the blanket sometimes. So I changed to only giving him the blanket overnight.

The last ten days or so, his housebreaking has gone all to hades. He is peeing in the crate before the dog walker gets here and they clean it up. Then he pees again in the crate before I get home. He also peed while being crated during dinner -- after having been outside 45 minutes prior -- last night.

I'm so frustrated! I love the little guy, but I feel like we've made zero progress on the housebreaking -- and are now going backward! I'm trying to crate him if he is not the focus of my attention or on my lap. I take him out at least every 90 minutes -- on the lead -- and praise him/give him treats when he goes.

I really need him to be at least 95% housebroken so I can let him roam free in the house when I'm home so we can enjoy each other more.

Any hints? Ideas as to how long this should take? Tips? Similar stories?

Posted on: 2009/7/8 20:15

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
I've had a rough time with both of my dachsies. I got both of them as rescues. They came into the house with my son's yellow lab, and they both did very well. House training was pretty much already done by the time I got them both. We had installed a doggie door and a very secure fence in the back yard, so they can go in and out whenever they'd like.

Then my mother-in-law had to move in with us. She brought with her her own dog, and her daughter's dog. Her dachsie mix was fine, but her daughter's yorkie was another story. This little male yorkie has been shuffled around from family member to family member due to divorce and several job and living changes. The yorkie began marking in the house. And as soon as he would, my male dachsie would re-mark the same spot again. Once my male started peeing in the house, my little female did as well.

Now that the mother-in-law and the two other dogs have moved out, and the lab has passed away, I'm still having trouble with my babies. I even got pee pads, but they avoid them, favoring the carpeting right in front of the front door. As soon as I say something to them, they'll dart for the back door, run out the doggie door, and pee right where they're supposed to. So they KNOW what they need to do, but I just can't get them to do it if I'm not standing right over them.

My husband and I work long hours. But we make sure they are confined to certain rooms when we're not there. And they have complete access to the doggie door and the back yard. But once we're home and they can get into the rest of the house, they pee wherever they want.

Any help or suggestions would be VERY appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 14:58

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
Has anyone dealt with Pepper Creek Ranch or PCPUPS ?
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index