Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Under armpit rash
alpha wiener
From Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
A few days ago I noticed a rash under Misty's armpit.
Looks like it's been wet and all wrinkly for a lont time.. there was some little soft thingies (looked like either blood clot or skin pieces?) I cleaned out and while doing that her back legs were all shaking. ( It had to be hurting when i did that).. Put some Neosporin afterwards.. it's going to be 48 hours tonight since i have noticed it and nothing seems to have changed. The little bloody things are slowly reappearing also... I am bringing her to the vet tonight even if my hubby wanted me to wait till the end of the week... My question would be: has anyone ever encounter that problem with Dachshund?

I know I should have some answer tonight but to be honest I need some opinions as I went against hubby's decision on waiting.. I just couldnt do that not knowing what caused it, and if she is hurting a lot or not.. what would you have done? Adopt the wait and see attitude? or go right away?

Thanks

PS She still loves to play running after the red lazer light as she always was.. she is addicted to it. And she doesnt seem to have changed any habits she had.. Once you know about it you can see that she does put her legs ways to avoid anything including air to reach there.. but if you wouldnt know about it, I dont think anyone would notice anything different about her.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 14:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Under armpit rash
alpha wiener
From Western Tennessee
Group:
Registered Users
I've had this problem with several of my Dachshund. Most recently with Grady. He get a yeast infection under his armpits. I try to keep under his arms dry with baby powder. This has worked for him. I have to keep him from licking under his arms. This is why it stays wet under there.

Jayla

Posted on: 2009/5/13 22:25

alpha wiener
From Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Well I went to see the vet tonight and it seems it's caused by some kind of injury either a bite from other dogs, or a scratch or even bugs... She said what you said, that i need to keep it dry and prescribed some cream to help...
She did mention corn starch or baby powder..

And of course I got a I TOLD YOU SO from my hubby.. but at least I know now... I was worried a bit mostly because a few months ago, we brought home a puppy that was diagnosed with sarcoptic mange. We did treat all dogs but I was afraid maybe that this one's treatment hadnt succeed some how.. or it had come back....
Anyways.. hope this is really all it was, and if so, all should be cleared up within 3 to 5 days..

Thanks for your reply... I dont have baby powder at home but i think this is something i will keep in the pharmacy from now on.

Posted on: 2009/5/14 0:24

ultimate hotdog
From SA
Group:
Registered Users
Jjharle I am really interested in this yeast infection under the armpits. My Lady seems to have constant bumps under her armpits. Sometimes they are really bad and start showing on her tummy (really inflamed) and sometimes disappear all together. They don't seem to bother her. Does this sound like the infection your dogs have had?

I have spoken to the vet and he says that dachshunds can often be allergic and it could be some sort of allergy, grass even!

I would love to know of a way to keep it under control!

Posted on: 2009/5/15 5:30

alpha wiener
From Wisconsin
Group:
Registered Users
Our guy had on-and-off little bloody spots under his legs and groin area last summer. They would look like a bloody bruise, fade after 1-2 days and then turn into a hard pustule. The vet said he was allergic to something (together we decided an outdoor allergy) which had weakened his immune system and let a bacterial infection take over (I can't remember the name of the infection at the moment). He needed an antibiotic shot and was put on allergy meds. It worked perfectly until the allergy meds ran out and bingo - the spots came back. We were able to take him off them for the winter snow, but have restarted this this month as we are outside more. No problems yet.

Posted on: 2009/5/16 20:17

alpha wiener
From Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
yes problem still not fixed after all those months :(

To make a long story shorter, it started a year ago when I brought in a 3rd dog, a puppy who i found out a week later had mange.. Treated all 3 dogs for prevention, seemed to be doing good, the puppy was clear.. only to notice a few months later tht one of my older dog had a big spot under her right arm.. (this is where my first message comes from)Vet said it couldnt be the mange since they had been treated.. prescribed me some cream.. did the job.. but a few months later it came back.. went to another vet who knew about mange problem they had, and they said it didnt look like mange.. was not the common place for it etc.. said it could be allergy so put her on benadryl and cortisone cream.. helped at first.. but no real improvement.. so i went back again and this time they did a scraping and said it was sarcoptic mange. So treated all 3 dogs and 2 cats also this time for safety with evermectin.. after 5 weeks of treatment she looked good, fur was growing back.. at the 6th treatment, all started to come back. Vet had recommended me Revolution to treat and prevent.. so at the 6th week of treatment I also started Revolution.. well at the 2nd months of revolution, I started the everectin ( i had left over).. nothing.. no improvement nothing.. I am really at lost. I am starting to have doubts about the vet because twice (with puppy and with Misty) the scraping they did found sarcoptic manges and I read everywhere that you ahve to be VERY lucky to actually see them in a scraping added to the fact that if sarcoptic mange is so contagious, why don't my other dogs show any signs of it? oh they will scratch their feet once in a while.. but nothing out of the ordinary.. Today i gave her evermectin for the 3 time and she is due for 3rd revolution dose in 5 days.. LOTS of poison for absolutly nothing so far...
Doing a search on internet for mange remedies I stumbled on Sulfinex and Metacin ( both sold together)
Has anyone heard of those products or best, used them before? I hear they treat all kinds of skin problems and not only mange..
I really do not want to go through the dip phase, because, having 3 dogs and it supposedly being so contagious, I'd have to dip all 3 of them.. Yes the cost is a factor but also I am tired of *poisonning* all my dogs because ONE has mange symptoms. I am also in search of a new clinic , just to be on the safe side..
So anyone here have had the same kind of dilemna I have and have used the product with success?
I also found another product for mange also on the internet, which they call Dermisil.. anyone heard of that one??

Thank you for any advice, be it with those products or any others, I am at lost and very tired of seing my little baby suffering.

I am sorry for the long message.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 11:57

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Quincy, MA
Group:
Registered Users
I found this on the web when I searched rash under dog's armpits:

It's from moisture under the armpits (called moist dermatitis.)
Try cleansing with hydrogen peroxide first, then applying some baking soda at night, you can also in day put any zinc with lanolin base cream.
Apply these for a week and you'd probably see improvement.

Also, check to make sure her harness is not rubbing under her armpit causing a "contact rash."

This happened to Baxter's tummy due to the velcro on one of his harnesses rubbing him and I was not aware it was doing it. I took him to my vet thinkig he had something bad, and my vet said it was from something rubbing him and gave me some cream that cleared it up fairly quickly.
I have stoppped using the harness with velcro, and the rash has never reappeared.

Good luck!
Bette and Baxter

Posted on: 2010/3/25 12:48

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News
Vaccines--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Part 2
Titers--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Interviews

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index