Lost Password?

Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Doxies with skin allergies
weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
My dachshound is 8 yrs old, she has a skin allergy 10 months out of the year, the only thing that helps her stay allergy free is antibiotic combined with steroids, every day. When she finishes the antibiotic, she's good for about a week or 2 then she starts all over again, she gets bumps that itch , she scratches till she gets infected. She started at about age 4 and we have been dealing with this constantly.i feel so bad for her, and her skin is now blackened . She suffers mostly in the hind region, tail ,stomach.can any one make any suggestions on what I can do.the vet, says it could be anything , she could be allergic to, but the tests can be very expensive. Is any one else having these issues. Thanks

Posted on: 2012/4/17 23:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Doxies with skin allergies
Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Quincy, MA
Group:
Registered Users
Poor baby!

Most of the time allergies in dogs are caused by their food. Dogs can be allergic to ingredients such as corn and other grains that a lot of dog foods contain. They can also be allergic to some of the meat by products.

Try changing your dog's food to a high grade, all natural food that is Grain Free and has limited ingredients. I like the Fromm brand as it is all natural and wholly made in the US with only US ingredients. Or you can go to a raw diet, which in that case, I like Stella and Chewy's Safe freeze dried raw patties.
Remember, to gradually switch your dog's food over a 7-10 day period to avoid any tummy issues.

You can also try giving your doxie Nupro Gold supplement for dogs. This stuff is amazing for dogs's coat and skin and also helps boost their immune system. You can buy it online and some high end dog stores may carry it.

Good luck, and I hope you find some relief for your fur baby.

Bette, Baxter and Daisy

Posted on: 2012/4/18 10:39

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
I have 12 year old male that started loosing his hair, his ears scabbed up and parts fell off, his feet swell and the nails fell out, He sneezes constantly and on and on. I have had him at the vet so many times, they are going to put a bed out for me, but still no answers. We changed food, we went to everything for allergy sensitive animals and humans and still nothing.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 14:52

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Quincy, MA
Group:
Registered Users
Doxietimes 9, that sounds awful.

Personally, I would find another vet who might have some other opinions and options for you. Not giving you an answer to your dog's health issues after all those visits is not acceptable to me. It sounds more internal and medical than allergies to foods.
Good luck.

Bette, Baxter and Daisy

Posted on: 2012/4/18 16:18

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
They told me to go to the one and only skin doctor in Washington state that is 2 hours drive away. Being that he is the only one, I can only imagine the cost.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 23:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News
Vaccines--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Part 2
Titers--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Interviews

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index