Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

teeth brushing
dachshund denizen
From Pittsburgh, PA
Group:
Registered Users
Hey guys. Question about oral care and dachshunds. I never used to pay much attention but having seen the shape of my 16 year olds mouth in her final years, I want to avoid the mistake of neglect with my 7 year old, Roxy.

Rox has the advantage of having been on a dry food diet pretty much her whole life, which I understand helps keep the teeth clean. I also add a liquid tartar remover to her water. We've started brushing her teeth over the past few months.

Obviously it was tough at first, but she has made some great strides. She still doesn't like it though, and I get maybe a maximum of 5 seconds in there til she begins getting agitated.

I try and make it as soothing and non-traumatic as possible, so after I get 3 or 4 good brushes on each side of her mouth I decide to call it a day and give her a treat. But it seems like I'm not getting enough time to do any good.

How long should I be brushing her teeth for in order to make a difference?

Posted on: 2012/5/3 0:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: teeth brushing
Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Quincy, MA
Group:
Registered Users
My vet told me that canned food does not cause tartar on dog's teeth and they do need the added moisture that canned food contains, so I mix dry Fromm kibble with Merrick canned, and my two doxies love it and lick their bowls.

My vet said brushing their teeth is very important, regardless of what you feed them. I love Petzlife Oral Tooth gel. It really gets the tartar off and you only need to coat the teeth with it to be effective, so don't worry if they don't let you brush that long.

My vet also told me that you only need to brush the outside of their teeth, not the tops and bottoms (like humans do) and to use a small soft child's toothbrush as they are smaller for a doxie's mouth.

Not feeding them bad human food goes a long way in keeping their mouths clean and healthy too.

Bette, Baxter and Daisy

Posted on: 2012/5/3 14:55

Re: teeth brushing
dachshund denizen
From Pittsburgh, PA
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the reply Bette, but some Amazon reviews make me wary of Petzlife. Quite a few people mention health problems with their dogs after use, so I think I'll just stick with the toothpaste and continue to try to work out how to get more time brushing.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 19:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News
Vaccines--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Part 2
Titers--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Interviews

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index