Dachshund pattern baldness - pinnal and saddle alopecia
Administrator
From New York City
Group:
Webmasters
below is some information about pattern baldness in dachshunds:

related terms: pinnal alopecia, saddle alopecia

What is pattern baldness?

With this condition there is gradual, symmetric thinning and loss of hair (alopecia) that usually begins by 6 to 9 months of age and progresses slowly until the affected areas are completely bald. Areas of hair loss are not itchy but may become darkened and scaly over time.

There are 3 different patterns of baldness that occur. In the most common syndrome, dachshunds and other breeds (mostly female animals) experience hair loss around the temples, underneath the neck, and on the chest, abdomen and back of the thighs. In dachshunds with pinnal alopecia (mostly male), the hair is gradually lost from both ears. Saddle alopecia occurs in American water spaniels and Portuguese water dogs, with hair loss underneath the neck, on the back of the thighs, and on the tail.

How is pattern baldness inherited?

unknown

What breeds are affected by pattern baldness?

Dachshunds are most commonly affected, and the condition is also seen in Boston terriers, Chihuahuas, greyhounds, Italian greyhounds, Manchester terriers, and whippets. Saddle alopecia occurs in American water spaniels and Portuguese water dogs

For many breeds and many disorders, the studies to determine the mode of inheritance or the frequency in the breed have not been carried out, or are inconclusive. We have listed breeds for which there is a consensus among those investigating in this field and among veterinary practitioners, that the condition is significant in this breed.

What does pattern baldness mean to your dog & you?

Aside from the areas of hair loss, your dog's coat will be normal. There is usually no discomfort associated with this condition.

How is pattern baldness diagnosed?

The condition is diagnosed through clinical examination and ruling out other causes of hair loss.

How is pattern baldness treated?

There is no treatment to reverse the hair loss.

Breeding advice

It is preferable not to breed affected dogs. Recognition of this problem by breed clubs of American water spaniels and Portuguese water dogs has already reduced the frequency of saddle alopecia.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS DISORDER, PLEASE SEE YOUR VETERINARIAN.

Resources

Scott, D.W., Miller, W.H., Griffin, C.E. 1995. Muller and Kirk's Small Animal Dermatology. p. 777 W.B. Saunders Co., Toronto.

Copyright © 1998 Canine Inherited Disorders Database. All rights reserved.
Revised: October 30, 2001.

This database is funded jointly by the Sir James Dunn Animal Welfare Centre at the Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island, and the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association.

Posted on: 2005/3/6 11:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

weenie
Re: Dachshund pattern baldness - pinnal and saddle alopecia
weenie_weenie
Oscar is starting to show what appears to be a small bald spot on the outside of of left front leg. He's going to be checked at the vet this week.

But here is a good web site that describes many varaitions of alopecia that can affect Dachshunds and other breeds.

http://ww.peteducation.com/article.cf ... =2&cat=1593&articleid=421

Posted on: 2005/6/13 20:25

weenie_
Great job Cleo! Very informative! I really enjoy the educational things everyone brings here.

Posted on: 2005/6/14 0:14

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Isle of Wight, England
Group:
Registered Users
OK....I'll admit it..... I have a bald chest and abdomen, and I'm losing hair on my ears.... I think it makes me look distinguished! Hughie is still hairy underneath, but his ears are going too. The others in my family are still very hairy, but then they are all wire haired, so I wouldn't expect them to go bald! A hair transplant maybe???

Posted on: 2005/6/14 3:40

Administrator
From New York City
Group:
Webmasters
Well, hair changes over time naturally, so I wouldn't worry about a little thinning. . Max and I are going gray!

Posted on: 2005/6/15 11:29

inspiration for:
~ The Hotdog Blog! ~ leading the dachshund revolution!
~ Idolnotes! ~ all american idol, all the time!

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Isle of Wight, England
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Cleo.... a young lady like you going grey..... I am sure that it makes you look even more distinguished. It is difficult to tell if my furry siblings are going grey, but Hughie is very grey! And he's younger than me...

Posted on: 2005/6/15 18:25

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
i just got a dachshund a few days ago and he was borng on 8/31/2008. hes a black and tan

i noticed that he has thinning hair already on both ears, a little on the sides of his head and i think on the back of his legs.

is this normal and the hair just has not grown yet or does my puppy have baldness already???

any input would be greatly appreciated

Posted on: 2008/12/24 12:52

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
Has anyone dealt with Pepper Creek Ranch or PCPUPS ?
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index