Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

obsessive licking.....
weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, so I have always wanted to ask someone about my dachshund's licking! He is like a kid with a thumb sucking problem. He licks EVERYTHING! At night after he has settled himself under the blankets in bed he will lick/nibble a spot on the sheet until he falls asleep. It happens mostly when he is sleepy but sometimes he will lick the SAME spot on himself or me or my husband until it's raw! He is especially fond of his own armpits for some reason to the point where they always look red and dry. Does anyone know anything about this? Is this a dachshund trait?

Posted on: 2007/1/16 14:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: obsessive licking.....
alpha wiener
From Canton, Georgia
Group:
Registered Users
We once had a cocker spaniel that used to do that and the vet said it was a nervous habit and some dogs are just extra lickers ! She would lick herself raw too.

Try the spray bottle of water when you are with him to help stop the excessive licking. My girls have learned really fast they hate a shot of water at the face.

When you aren't with him, try some of the green apple spray. That sure helped taming our old cocker.

Since it's probably a nervous habit try a kong filled with peanut butter to help your boy with his stress licking.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 15:00

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Woodleaf, North Carolina
Group:
Registered Users
My mom has two red minis. One is 11 and the other is 9 years old. The 9 year old will lick any and everything and now my one year old does this. He will lick the bed until it's wet when we go to bed. I have tried the water bottle too, but it gets old carrying it around...haha.

I just rattle a newspaper and tell him to quit. He usually lies down after that and I fall asleep....who knows if he still does it after I am sleeping.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 15:08

ultimate hotdog
From Iowa City, IA
Group:
Registered Users
I would keep an eye on the places on him that he's licking. I've heard so many storied about dogs getting terrible infections from an open wound caused by obsessive licking - and they usually won't even stop after they've torn their skin open.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 15:08

new pup in the park
From South Carolina
Group:
Registered Users
Zoe licks everything. Even if we are just sitting on the couch her tounge is moving 90 mph.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 15:36

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
A vet told me the licking can start with an itch caused by allergies. You would be amazed how many dogs are allergic to grass. Perhaps you could ask your vet for something along those lines...

Posted on: 2007/1/16 16:17

wiener wonder dog
From Southern Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't know that there was such a thing as a doxie that wasn't an excessive licker!lol Hank licks the bed, our legs, etc. at bedtime...he licks the couch when he's curled next to us and under the blankies...he licks our faces like a mad man...I just figure it's part of his personality, a doxie trait.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 19:47

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News
Vaccines--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Part 2
Titers--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Interviews

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index