main menu

login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Why does he pee outside but poop inside???
wiener wonder dog
From Southern Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Hank has pretty good potty habits with the exception of pooping in the house. Granted, I would much rather clean a pile of poo than pee since it is much easy to dispose of and leave only a 'temporary' stinch. However, we have had the peeing outside thing taken care of for quite a while now but he still won't hardly poop outside. A rare occassion Hank will poop outside but 90% of the time it's in the house. Any thoughts/ideas on this??? Not sure how to handle this or if anyone would have any suggestions on how to conquer this issue.

I guess one up side to this whole thing is that he almost always seems to do it in one of the bathrooms right in front of the toilet. I'm wondering if I got him a ramp to get up to the seat if he would drop it in the potty?!lol Just a thought?!

But really...anyone else experience this or have any thoughts/suggestions on it?

Thanks a bunch! Cheers,
Missy aka TopDox
(fka Doxy Momma)

Posted on: 2007/1/21 17:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

weenie
Re: Why does he pee outside but poop inside???
weenie_weenie
I would try to start potty training him all over. When he does poo outside make a huge deal of it and give him praise and treats. Really let him know that it is the thing to do. Plus check out Rhonas potty training tips made up especially for dachsies.

Posted on: 2007/1/21 20:05

ultimate hotdog
From Iowa City, IA
Group:
Registered Users
How long are you keeping him outside? Piper has to run around a long time before she poops. She has a very distinct 'poop-run'. I'd make sure you keep them out for 15 min or more. And go back to potty training basics as said before.

Posted on: 2007/1/21 22:44

wiener wonder dog
From Southern Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
His time outside does vary, depending on the weather. I figured that might be part of it as well but I would rather him poop in the room than freeze. And the reason I say this is that one time he got lose from his leach we usually let him out on and when we went to let him in, he was gone. Needlesstosay we searched for what seemed like forever. It had been snowing and it was night time so all we had was flashlights and woodlines surround half of our house. Anyway, to make a long story short...when we did finally find him it was as if he was frozen in place. He was around the back of our house near the woodline, standing with paws up because he couldn't move...everytime he tried, the snow/cold would "hurt" his paws. I FELT HORRIBLE and was so worried about him that scolding him was not in the cards at that time. So anyway, leaving him out for very long in colder weather really worries me...even if I'm out there to watch him. May sound silly but I do worry.

Posted on: 2007/1/22 0:35

wiener wonder dog
From CT, but in the moving process :)
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

I was having the same trouble with my mini. We are training her to go on potty pads inside. She gets peeing on them, but poops all over the house. We hadn't done crate training, but we completey re-trained her and now she gets it. If your not doing crate training, that is the way to go!

Sophia & Ruby

Posted on: 2007/1/22 0:45

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From LIVERPOOL UK
Group:
Registered Users
Have you tried putting a coat on him for the cold weather??

It is the cold weather that gets to mine too,they get up in the morning have a big wee and then I have started crating them and putting them out again 1/2 an hour later and continue like this till they have both performed and make a big fuss of them and give them a treat.

They got so used to the door being open through the summer that it is hard for them to understand that when it is frosty,like today,raining or blowing a gale I can't leave the door open all the time.

So go back to basics till he gets the hang of it.

Rhona

Posted on: 2007/1/22 7:38

ultimate hotdog
From Iowa City, IA
Group:
Registered Users
From your last post it sounds like you're putting him outside on a leash by himself. If that's true, I just wanted you to know that that is very dangerous. Not only can they get loose as you've already seen, butI know of dogs breaking their necks (usually larger dogs) trying to get off of them or just from running full speed after an animal and being snapped back. If you are trying to potty train him, you really need to be outside with him watching and praising him when he does the right thing. Otherwise you aren't really potty training him, you're just getting lucky. You need to be positively reinforcing every single time he goes outside, IMMEDIATELY after he goes so you have to be there with him EVERY time.

Posted on: 2007/1/22 11:55

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News
Vaccines--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Part 2
Titers--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Interviews

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index