Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Growth Chart
Friend of Hotdog Blog!
Group:
Registered Users
Ever litter that Charlotte has had, she has throw a small standard. Charlotte weighs 11 pounds. Even bred to a mini around 10 pounds she still threw a standard in that litter.

Unless for several generations back, ALL dogs in the pedigree are minis, you will have a chance of standard. The breeder is not going to know if the pup will top out at standard size but SHOULD know and let prespective buyers know that they can not gaurantee weight if they don't have full knowledge of the lines.

Even if your doxie is a small standard, he will most likely be a beautiful dog. In my opinion standards are always a better example of the breed. Don't freat, he is still your baby!

The standard is trying to make a come back and I really hope that happens. I am giving some thought to breeding my Gracie who has finally topped out at 18 pounds and River who should top out at 20. They are both awesome examples of dachshunds.

Thing is that they, because of their line, (both have strong mini in the lines) could produce minis in their litter along with standard size pups.

Only time will tell but if he is a small standard, unless you are planning on breeding him, is it really that bad?

Posted on: 2007/11/28 11:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
Group:
Registered Users
Heidi always seemed to weigh the number of months she was old - five months, five pounds, etc. until she bottomed out at about 15 months old at 9 to 11 pounds. My puppy, Pippi, is now seven months and is following the same pattern. She weighs seven pounds, but she has a skinny frame compared to Heidi and she is much more active. I guess you never know. I wanted mini's and small tweenies, but I'd love anything I ended up with.

Posted on: 2007/11/28 16:12

dachshund denizen
Group:
Registered Users
Its not that I mind that he is not a mini, he is definitely still my beautiful baby but my apartment complex might! We have a 24lb limit on dogs and a maximum of 2, since I was told that he would top off at 12lbs I bought the second one as a playmate for him. I am not breeding, he has been neutered and she is next in January. I love living here, very pet friendly and don't want it to be a big deal but I will do anything for my babies, they have bought so much joy in my home.

Posted on: 2007/11/28 19:59

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Chesapeake, VA
Group:
Registered Users
Bruno was always little for his age until he hit the 8 to 10 month age, and then he took off!!

He is still the same size he was at 10 months, but has become more solid.

Posted on: 2007/11/28 20:11

the love in your heart wasn't put there to stay....the love in your heart was meant to give away...

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News
Vaccines--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Part 2
Titers--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Interviews

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index