Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Liver Shunt
Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From LIVERPOOL UK
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently it's a clip they put round the offending blood vessel which gradually shuts of the blood supply that is bypassing the liver and helps to divert it in the right direction. The correct blood vessel is normally narrower than it should be from lack of use or reduced use and therefore increases in size slowly as the clip clamps down and eventually closes altogether. It's hard to tell from scan whether the shunt is inside or outside the liver, so you have to wait till the surgery to find out.

All the above was told us by the vets before Penny had her shunt corrected.We were never told about a drug alternative but then Penny was very ill so urgently needed surgery.She is now a healthy nearly 3 yr old.

The lactulose is very important as it makes the dog have their bowels opened very regularly to get rid of any toxins which could effect the brain.

By the way we use it on humans who have Alcoholic Liver Disease for the same reason.

How old is Cecil? The normal age for diagnosis is 6-7 months,the special animal hospital vets said they did have a dog who was 11yrs old before a minor liver shunt was diagnosed.

I hope Cecil gets sorted soon.

Posted on: 2006/3/1 12:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

alpha wiener
From Waukee, Iowa
Group:
Registered Users
well, lily was too small for the clip to be put around her vessel (they were afraid it would be too heavy and would kink the blood vessel), so they went with the Australian method, which is to wrap the vessel with a strip of sanitized celophane.

the body sees it as a foreign substance, so the vessel swells and closes off. success rate is the same, and lily is doing marvelously!

Posted on: 2006/3/1 14:26

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone,

I am new to this website. I have 2 beautiful long-haired dachshunds, Ricky who is 1 year and 10 months and Rorie who is 1 year and 6 months. Recently, Rorie has been having some liver issues. In September, she had a bout of severe vomiting and lethargy and when we rushed her to the emergency vet her ALT was 1782 (which is extremely high). We trended the ALT back down to normal and she was doing well, except for a small bout of runny stools about 3 weeks ago. On Christmas night, she had a seizure (first one ever) and we rushed her to the emergency vet again, and again, her ALT was elevated at 285. They performed an abdominal ultrasound and her liver was found to be small and also her post-prandial bile acids were elevated telling us she has liver dysfunction. They are now recommending an ultrasound-guided biopsy. I have no problem doing it (I'm a soon to be human physician and I'm very pro-diagnostic testing). They are also suspecting she has a portosystemic shunt. It wasn't found on the first ultrasound, but they want to look again when they are doing the biopsy and she is sedated. I've been reading about shunts online, and she seems to follow some of the patterns: she's quite small and low to the ground for even a dachshund, and she's had intermittent bouts of vomiting/diarrhea, and of course this last seizure episode. I was just curious how those of you who's doxies have/had shunts and pursued treatment are doing and how you all feel the prognosis is. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Sheri

Posted on: 2007/12/28 10:14

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Arizona..Where the Gecko's run free!
Group:
Registered Users
Sheri..Welcome to THDB! I'am bumping this up for others on the forum to read.I myself cannot offer any advice..I have never experinced this..hopefully someone else here can help..I have found that there are alot of wonderful folks here that are very knowledgeable on the doxie breed and are so willing to help out!Sheri I will keep Rorie and you in my thoughts and prayers..God Bless..Nanclee..

PS.Love that name Rorie..My son's name is Rory.

Posted on: 2007/12/28 13:40

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
Group:
Registered Users
Bumping this up for night owls to read..

Posted on: 2007/12/28 19:46

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From LIVERPOOL UK
Group:
Registered Users
Penny My Mum's dachsie I mentioned earlier in this thread had the best outcome that we were told about prior to surgery, she was back on normal diet and had near normal results 9months later.

The only down side is that she has the occassional epileptic fit thought to have been caused by the toxicity of her blood prior to diagnosis and surgery affecting her brain. We do now know the triggers and try to avoid them, she can go several month without any and then have one out of the blue, as one of her triggers is getting over excited it is hard at times to prevent that happening

Penny will be 5yrs old next May and was 8 months old when she had surgery. What we were told that if she ever had to have surgery she would need a special anaesthetic and bloods checked thoroughly before hand, she was spayed 9 months after surgery and was fine, it cost more than a routine spay but we couldn't risk her getting pregnant as I had Rhuari by that time.

Her Dam was never bred from again as this was her first litter and the sire had been bred lots of times before with no problems.

I hope this helps

Rhona

Posted on: 2007/12/30 12:09

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
Group:
Registered Users
RE: Blood Work Post....I'am bumping this up for Laurenlulu to read.

Posted on: 2008/1/26 15:39

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index