Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

One blue eye, one brown eye....
dachshund denizen
From Michigan
Group:
Registered Users
I am to become the proud owner of dachshund number two over Memorial Day weekend. My new puppy has cream smooth parents (papa has a little red in his ears). Neither parent could be considered true creams, since as I understand it, there are no true smooth creams. My puppy, Muppet, is a dark cream with white markings. As the weeks have unfolded since her birth, we have discovered that she is also going to be a long coat! This became obvious when she was 4 weeks old. Although I originally wanted the smooth coat, I have already bonded emotionally with this puppy--she is mine no matter what and I am very excited to get her. Yesterday, the breeder sent me another note that she has one blue eye and one brown eye, indicating she is a dapple (somewhere back in the gene pool....). I think this sounds very cute and has special meaning to me--my dad had one blue eye and one brown eye, brought on by blindness in one of his eyes in his 20's... by the time he reached mid-sixties, that eye was fading and continued to fade to a very pretty blue at the time of his death at age 79, 4 years ago. So, Muppet's middle name will be "Earl" in honor of my pop. She is also being shipped to me on my dad's birthday.... seems pretty coincidental, huh? At any rate, I only wonder that the blue eye might present a problem to Muppet.... are blue eyes weaker? Should this be considered a defect? She will be loved and cherished along with my other dachshund, Pippin, but I am curious as to whether this has any health implications. Thanks!
(I will post a picture once I get one--she's adorable).

Posted on: 2008/4/17 14:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: One blue eye, one brown eye....
Friend of Hotdog Blog!
Group:
Registered Users
It is very common for dapple dogs to have dappling occur in one or both eyes. This should not be a problem for her.

She sounds very cute.

I am a little concerned that your breeder did not know that your pup was a longhair or that the pup was dapple until just now. Dapple does not "come down through the genes". One of the parents has to be a dapple to produce dapple pups. Have you seen pictures of both parents? Is one of them a dapple? I have noticed this happening more and more lately because with some of these light coated dogs, the dappling is going unnoticed.

I would love to see pictures of her!

Posted on: 2008/4/17 15:16

Gräf (Gräfin) von Wolfin
From Indiana
Group:
Registered Users
Tia, I realize her dog is a dapple, but I've been told that having one or both blue eyes does not mean it's a dapple. Is that correct?

Posted on: 2008/4/17 15:31

dachshund denizen
From Michigan
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for the response. Yes, I have seen pictures of both parents... here is the link to their website and pictures: http://www.sunshinedoxies.com/dnursery1.html

Muppet is the darkest little female. The breeder is sending me a close up picture of her tomorrow, showing the blue eye / brown eye. Her explanation to me is that sometimes the dapple doesn't show up. She sent me a picture of one of her other dogs, which appears to be a solid red long coat with one blue eye.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 15:43

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
Group:
Registered Users
I looked at the website. I have some opinions about the puppy.

If you want to talk about it through PM, I would be happy to do that!

Tia

Posted on: 2008/4/17 16:57

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
Group:
Registered Users
Katherine

One blue eye or two is an indication of dapple.

Dachshunds do not normally have blue eyes. They have brown eyes or in the case of issys and some chocolates, hazel/green eyes.

If a solid color dachshund has a blue eye, he is dapple.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 17:06

dachshund denizen
Group:
Registered Users
Hey thats the lady I was going to get my dachshund puppy from. She lives like 10 minutes from me

Posted on: 2008/4/17 17:47

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index