main menu

login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Breeding a solid white long haired dachshund?
weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
Is it possible to breed a solid white long haired dachshund? I imagine if this were the case, it would be an exceptionally beautiful animal.

I know that a dapple would carry the lethal white gene, so breeding high percentage of white piebalds would be the way to go. But, most piebalds aren't long haired, so I am not sure how this would work. Maybe after years of selective breeding, this could happen.

Or, since some argue that the long-haired attribute of dachshunds was originally bred in by using another breed and then re breeding that trait back in with dachshunds. I would hate to disrupt the "purity" of the breed, but one wonders if you could cross breed a Maltese with a dachshund and get a white long haired coat. Then, breed this trait back into the dachshund line.

I am just asking this as a matter of curiosity. Obviously, it would be extremely detrimental to the breed to create numerous "wasted" offspring in search of a particular trait. And, as long time dachshund lover (I've had them since I was twelve, and we are on our third one) I would hate to see any dachshund not receive a good home due to excessive supply - especially at the expense of breeding for appearance.

I've taken a large amount of science classes (I am a dental student) and have always thought about genetics as being particularly interesting. Maybe someday when I'm a lot older and wiser, we'll breed not for money but for love of the breed. I could never imagine having anything but a dachshund anyway!

Posted on: 2008/7/5 17:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Breeding a solid white long haired dachshund?
wiener wonder dog
From central,ohio
Group:
Registered Users
I would have to agree it would be beautiful but not worth hurting the breed for. There are actually a lot of long haired pies out there. I think the closest I've seen to what you were talking about would be a cream pie{white with cream markings}.

Posted on: 2008/7/5 18:25

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
Group:
Registered Users
You will eventually see them. There are breeders right now breeding the extreme pie to get solid white and I am sure in the future, the longhaired white doxie will be available.

Posted on: 2008/7/5 18:39

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From LIVERPOOL UK
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder what price tag they will come with??????????

Rhona

Posted on: 2008/7/6 15:46

Gräf (Gräfin) von Wolfin
From Indiana
Group:
Registered Users
I know of a lady who gets extreme cream pies in several litters that she has every year...one couple in particular has such extremes that they do indeed look like they are white! I think they are beautfiul! So for me, I am happy with them. And hope to have one some day. :)

Posted on: 2008/7/6 17:50

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
My Dixie
Has anyone dealt with Pepper Creek Ranch or PCPUPS ?
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index