Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

ITCHY DACHSHUNDS..HELP!
weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
HUGE QUESTION and if anyone can help I will love you forever.

The last time I had a dachshund (she passed away 2 years ago) she suffered from chronic itchiness.Thats the only way I know how to put it. Always itching and scratching no matter what medicines and steroids the vet gave her or how many oatmeal and other baths we gave her. Nothing helped. So we just figured it was her.
Well a week ago, my mom and I purchased 2 one year old dachshunds from a very nice home that just couldnt keep the girls. The minute you walked into the house you knew the dogs were VERY well taken care of. After getting them home, the same problem started again. Just itching constantly. There are no fleas on the dogs or in our home. There is nothing we can find that would cause this.

Has anyone else had this problem?!?! Please help us and our new babies. It would be horrible if we had to watch 2 more dogs go through this for their whole life.

Thanks

Posted on: 2008/7/11 11:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: ITCHY DACHSHUNDS..HELP!
Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From LIVERPOOL UK
Group:
Registered Users
Could it be the food you are feeding,is it what you used before? Do you live in a very different part of the country? Would air conditioning dry out their coats/skin and make them itch?

I feed Royal Canin dachsie recipe and it keeps them fit in every way. Each day they get a LOW DOSE garlic oil capsule which keeps the fleas at bay and a Codliver Oil capsule which keeps their coat in tip top condition as they are all longhaired dachsies.

I hope you get to the bottom of what is causing the problem.

Rhona

Click blue writing at the bottom to see my 3[can't get the signature to work properly]

Posted on: 2008/7/11 11:57

alpha wiener
Group:
Registered Users
I have the same problem with one of my dachshunds. Unofortunately, we have not found a solution to the problem yet.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 12:06

Gräf (Gräfin) von Wolfin
Group:
Registered Users
My first thought was food too. It could also be something you are using to clean the house or the laundry soap. It could also be something in the yard.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 12:13

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Quincy, MA
Group:
Registered Users
It will be a process of elimination.
I would start with the food you are feeding as Dachsunds are very prone to skin allergies due to certain fillers in dog food such as wheat and corn.

I would make sure you are not feeding one of the low grade dog foods you find in the grocery store aisle and make sure you are feeding a high grade, human grade dog food such as Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul or Innova, or Wellness, etc.

Google the dog food grade scale and you can find a list of the most common dog foods and how they rate from A+ to F according to ingrediants and nutritional value.

The ones I mentioned above are all rated A+ on the dog food grading scale.

If you are feeding your doxie a high grade dog food and there still is a skin itching issue and your previous dogs suffered from this afliction, it most likely is something in your home or yard causing the problem.

Good luck and I hope you figure out what is causing the scratching soon!

Bette

Posted on: 2008/7/11 12:21

Baron (Baronin) von Wienerschnitzel
Group:
Registered Users
We have the same problem with our mini long hair.We have tried everything and the Vet has tried everything and nothing helped her.We even went to the point of shaving her.
We were telling a friend about this and they told us of a shampoo called "Groomers Blend".This has helped more than anything so far.Atleast the poor little girl can sleep through the night.We bought it at a true value store.
Maybe you could find it on line.It does give her a lot of relief.Could be something you might want to try
Mike

Posted on: 2008/7/11 15:28

Obama!!!“Stupid people always think they are right. Wise people listen to advice.”

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
Your Dachshund may be allergic to something. You could maybe try finding out what she is allergic to. I hope that you can find the cause, and find out a solution to the problem. :)

Posted on: 2008/7/12 12:12

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index