Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Upset tummy :(
Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Fairbanks, Alaska- soon to be Florida
Group:
Registered Users
I'm just full of questions today! I think Jake got into something in the yard, he is a total leaf/grass/stick eater and we've been trying to keep a diligent eye on him, but you know how puppies are. Anyway, today Jake is pooping really runny, and often. Throughout the day it has changed back to a dark brown color, but my boyfriend, who's home with him today says he's been going EVERY time he's outside, and the estimate is about 3 times every hour or so. We've called two vets, both who can't see him today and one who MIGHT be able to see him tomorrow. Is there anything that I can do tonight to maybe settle his stomach? I've heard of pumpkin for dogs... But not sure?

Posted on: 2008/8/22 20:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Upset tummy :(
alpha wiener
Group:
Registered Users
Canned pumpkin helps firm up their poop. Also whenever my dogs get upset tummies I give them a little Pepto too and that really seems to help. Also make sure he drinks enough water to stay hydrated.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 20:39

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Quincy, MA
Group:
Registered Users
Young puppies can get into things and their tummy's are very easily upset.

They can also become dehydrated quickly from diarrhea, so you have to keep an eye on him and make sure he is drinking fluids (water) as dehydration can be quite serious if left to go on too long and puppies can be affected by this quickly.

Dogs have a flora (or good bacteria) in their gut, and when something is introduced to get the bateria out of whack, it can be very hard to get it back in balance again, so the diarrhea can go on for a bit and be hard to get under control.
The flora is even more delicate in puppie's digestive systems, so they can get upset tummies very easily.

If you can speak to a vet, even if one can't see you, ask him if it is ok to give Jake a tiny bit of Pepto Bismol, that can also help settle his upset tummy, but ask a vet first, and how much.

Right now I would not feed him anything and just give his tummy time to settle down as more food could just make things worse.

As long as he is drinking and getting fluids, he can go without eating for a day until you can get him to a vet, but if he still has diarrhea tomororw or is acting lethargic, I would see if you can get him into an emergency vet seeing that he is so young.

Let us know how the little guy does!

*a footnote to Ashley's post.
By canned pumpkin, it must be pure, all natural pumpkin puree, not the canned pumpkin used for pie filling.

Bette and Baxter

Posted on: 2008/8/22 20:41

Edited by BaxtersMom on 2008/8/22 20:58:21
Edited by BaxtersMom on 2008/8/22 21:07:40

dachshund denizen
From Ellensburg Washington
Group:
Registered Users
You guys are fantastic!!! I can't believe all I have learned since coming here. I know many questions have been asked many times but for us new people,you have more then curtious and kind. I thank you so very much.
Diane

Posted on: 2008/8/22 21:27

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Quincy, MA
Group:
Registered Users
*Bump* for Kristan's Jake with upset tummy

Posted on: 2008/8/22 23:34

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Fairbanks, Alaska- soon to be Florida
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you sooo much! I called the vet and they recommended pepto bismol/malox/something for upset tummies. And since he's not wanting to drink at all they recommended a small amount of pedialyte mixed with water. Ill keep you updated! I feel so sad for him, he just wants to curl up in my lap and I can hear his little tummy churning :(

Posted on: 2008/8/22 23:40

Baron (Baronin) von Wienerschnitzel
Group:
Registered Users
I've heard of Pepto too......I also give Abbey a little piece of bread if she has an upset tummy and it seems to help also!Just a thought!Good luck,hope he gets to feeling better!
~Kayla

Posted on: 2008/8/22 23:45

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
My Dixie
Has anyone dealt with Pepper Creek Ranch or PCPUPS ?
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index