Lost Password?

Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Utah - Chloe the special needs Doxie needs a home
weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I live in Salt Lake City Utah. Our Doxie Chloe is around 8 years old and she has developed some special needs we can't help her with.

In January she hurt herself, and upon taking her to the vet they said that she had damaged her lower spine. With some steroids and healing time she has recovered quite a bit and can walk using her back legs again (all though she looks a little drunk). She can't go up and down stairs but is happy and still loves to play.

The problem is the spinal injury has affected her bladder control, which is causing a problem. All of dogs are use to going in the kennel when we sleep, and when we were at work. They would stay in their kennel for 8+ hours and there were never any accidents. With her injury Chloe has trouble holding her bladder for 4 or more hours, and this normally ends with her sitting in pee in her kennel.

Since my wife and I work so much we cannot give this little dog any quality of life. We have thought about putting her down but we don't want that at all. We desperately need to find a rescue or someone who has time for our special little baby.

She isn't great with kids, but she loves dogs and will tolerate a cat (if she can be the boss).

Any feedback on improving her situation, of a rescue, or a new home would be greatly appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  ShellyChloeGus.jpg (156.56 KB)
6129_4a005963917d5.jpg 850X566 px

Posted on: 2009/5/5 12:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Utah - Chloe the special needs Doxie needs a home
alpha wiener
Group:
Registered Users
If I lived closer to you, I would take her in myself. Would you and your wife be able to take turns going home at lunch to let her outside or hiring someone to go over to your house in the middle of the day to let her outside? 8+ hours is a long time for a dog to be kenneled - if you could have someone go over to the house and let the dogs out in the middle of the day, I'm sure all your dogs would be happier. There are also doggie diapers, but I don't know how well they work.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 13:38

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
We've tried diapers but she pulls them off.

Unfortunately we can't have people come over and let her out when we work because we work graveyards. Since we work over 30 minutes away from work we also couldn't come home during our shift. Poory puppy.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 23:01

Baron (Baronin) von Wienerschnitzel
From London, Ontario, Canada
Group:
Registered Users
I had a doxie that was much in the same position as yours except mine was a foster. You have to be careful because if she sits in her own urine for a long enough time she'll develop urine burns and lose the fur in that area.

When I would go to work Raven would be put in an ex-pen with pee pads covering the floor, that way when she pee'd while I was gone it would be absorbed and should could get away from it.

Chiropractics also worked WONDERS. This was a dog that was never supposed to walk again let alone be able to control her bowels or bladder. We took her once or twice a week for a few months, then once a week after that, I don't know how often she goes now because she has been adopted but she was starting to hold her urine for short periods of time. I have also heard of acupuncture and electro-acupuncture working well too. PM me if you'd like some more info for things you can try before you give her up or things that you can do until she is adopted.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 0:14

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for your suggestions.

We were using pee pads at first but she would shread the pee soaked pad and eat it, which would make her very sick so we have decided to stop using those.

If we had the money a dog chiropractor would be an option but unfortunately we don't have the extra money right now.

It would be great if there was someone with a doggie door so she could go out any time she wanted. Sucks that we don't have a door that will allow one.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 12:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
Has anyone dealt with Pepper Creek Ranch or PCPUPS ?
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index