Lost Password?

Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Paralyzed Doxie
weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
I have a 4 year old male doxie that injured his back a week ago yesterday, he can't walk, hold his urine or bm. The vet x-rayed and said he had calcification on a few vertbrae but from the x-ray couldn't tell if he had a slipped disc. He is on steroids, pain meds and kennel rest for 2 weeks. He appears to be paralyzed. He is seeing the vet again this morning so they can check for reflexes (last week he had some deep reflexes). Since then he has lost his muscle tone in his legs. I need some advice from someone that has experienced this. I'm using incontinence pads with a male wrap but he's breaking out on his belly. Not sure if it's from the pads or from urine scalding which I've read about. Last night I did put some neosporine on him which seemed to help. Has anyone used any type of cream for something like this? The vet said we can be very dedicated and take care of him or as he put it "call it the end of the day" which is not an option with neither myself or my husband. Scooter is the best dog I've ever had, there is just something about these doxies :) Any advice, experiences anyone has had would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2009/9/12 10:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Paralyzed Doxie
weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
Not quite sure what I did wrong but have someone else's avitar :(

Posted on: 2009/9/12 10:44

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Quincy, MA
Group:
Registered Users
I am so sorry to hear about your precious baby Scooter.

I thankfully have not had to deal with this issue, but many who have joined the Dodgerslist web site for support and great information.
Their web site is: www.dodgerslist.com

Good luck and prayers go out that your Scooter will
recover.

I give my Baxter a spine and disc supplement called Vetri Disc from Vetri Science that I buy on line.
It is a back support formula made especially for dogs.
You might want to check it out for your Scooter.
A canine orthopedic specialst told me it was a good idea to help prevent back issues, especially in dogs like Dachshunds.

I am with you - giving up on your baby so soon is not an option.
They can recover from this and deserve our efforts to heal them if it is at all possible.
They give us so much, it is the least we can do.

Bette and Baxter

Posted on: 2009/9/12 11:58

Baron (Baronin) von Wienerschnitzel
From London, Ontario, Canada
Group:
Registered Users
To help keep muscle tone in the back legs you can exercise them a little bit, with him laying on his back you can push gently on his foot to flex the leg, I'm not sure if you should do this right after the accident has occurred though.

For the urine burns I always put Penaten barrier cream on before the belly band/diaper, if there is already some urine burns or irritation I put on some diaper rash cream and then the barrier cream, since it's covered by the belly band/diaper you don't have to worry about them licking it off.

When he's done the crate rest, which is usually 6-8 weeks, you can start some light exercising which will also help to build the muscle. I wrote in another post that chiropractic care can do miracles when it comes to downed dogs or even dogs with no apparent problems. I take Sadie about once a month, she hasn't gone down but she does have some back pain and problems and it helps keep her in line and lets me know if something is out of whack before hand so I can bring her in to the vet before something serious even happens.

Posted on: 2009/9/12 12:36

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for advice! I took Scooter back to the vet yesterday and after checking him over again and from what I told her she feels he has spinal damage and will be paralyzed. She did the reflex tests and there is nothing. I asked her if we should continue the crate rest and she didn't think it's going to make a difference. This morning I gave his ball back and let him play a little, first time I've seen his eyes let up since he was hurt. He seems to be doing really well adjusting (better than me I'll have to say) He needs to lose about 3 more lbs so will watch his food intake. I've excercised his legs but nothing to rigorous. I think I'll check to see if there's a pet chiropractor available around here. I tried to find the Penaten cream with no luck yet but did buy some ointment for diaper rash.

Posted on: 2009/9/13 15:42

weenie on a walk
From Alabama
Group:
Registered Users
With COMPLETE crate rest, some paralyzed dachshunds have been able to walk again. Please join dodgerslist.com and join their forum.

Posted on: 2009/9/14 18:23

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
I started to look at the Dodger's site yesterday for a short time so will look again tonight. I feel I have another baby in the house, we need to get adjusted to Scooter's level of care now. I noticed this afternoon when I changed him that his belly actually reflexed when I was expressing his bladder and there seemed to be a little control for a second or two. I think we will continue with the crate rest to see if there's any hope. He's getting more adjusted it seems. We have a little Yorkie as well and he seemed afraid of him at first but is starting come up to him again. Thanks for the advice! It's so nice to be able to find out what other people have gone through with their pets.

Posted on: 2009/9/14 21:09

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
My Dixie
Has anyone dealt with Pepper Creek Ranch or PCPUPS ?
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index