Lost Password?

Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Loose stools?
dachshund denizen
Group:
Registered Users
We switched izzy and scarlet over to Wellness dog food. i was wondering if anyone else's babies have had loose stools when they were on this food?

Posted on: 2010/2/19 11:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Loose stools?
Baron (Baronin) von Wienerschnitzel
From London, Ontario, Canada
Group:
Registered Users
How long ago did you switch them and what were they on before? Could be that they're just not used to it yet, or it could be too rich for them.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 11:58

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Quincy, MA
Group:
Registered Users
Remember it is very important to gradually switch over any new food formula over a 7-10 day period, slowly increasing the amount of new food until you have completely switched them over.
If your doxie gets loose stools during this don't add as much of the new formula and do it more gradually.

Give your doxie about a tablespoon of pure pumpkin puree, sold in the grocery store (not the kind used for pumpkin pie filler!) to their food to give them some fiber to help firm up their stools.

If they still have loose stools after all this, the food could be too rich and you might need to find an alternative one or different formula or flavor.

Bette and Baxter

Posted on: 2010/2/19 14:11

dachshund denizen
Group:
Registered Users
i switched them over very gradual since i didnt want them to have any issues, it seems like recently they have started to have loose stools. it is not all the time either. like their duty in the morning will be hard and then later in the day its loose.

they are on the wellness chicken flavor. before that they were on the fish formula but hated it so they switched to the chicken.

i hate to keep changing their food but i want them to be comfortable and not feel like they have to go every five minutes :(

Posted on: 2010/2/20 0:48

Izzy loves belly rubs, eating snow, jumping on scarlet, eating and snuggling up with daddy.

Scarlet loves juggling 5 balls at once, having izzy chase her all over the house, learning new tricks, the neighbor kids and snuggling up with mommy.

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Quincy, MA
Group:
Registered Users
Baxter hated the Wellness fish formual too and he has a very sensitive tummy for certain food tolerance.

The chicken formula may be a bit rich for them, so try mixing in a bit of the Wellness fish formula they did not have any issues with and slowly add less and less of it over a much longer period of time until their tummies get used to the chicken formula.

Try giving them a little of the pure pumpkin puree too to help with the loose stools.

Make sure they are drinking water and if their stools get too loose add a bit of unflavored Pedialyte to their water.

Bette and Baxter

Posted on: 2010/2/20 10:19

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index