Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Dachshund Hair Loss - symmetrical on back, head, ears, and legs, bald on belly
weenie on a walk
From Charlotte
Group:
Registered Users
My mini-dachshund is losing her hair. This began back in Sept-October and has continued to thin. She has no hair on her chest or belly. The hair on her back is so thin you can see her skin and the loss is symmetrical on her ears, head and hind legs. She is adopted and was previously rescued from a puppy mill. I have allergy spray for her hair loss, but her skin doesn't seem inflamed or irritated, and the spray isn't doing anything, so i have stopped using it. I've had her blood and thyroid tested and everything was clear. I have her taking fish oil and drizzle "dreamcoat" on her food. any ideas? I've recently ordered Resicort, which is a 1% cortisone leave on conditioner. She is very dry, but not inflamed. Her skin is soft as a baby on her belly. The Vet says we can do a Thyroid panel which will be more conclusive than the basic test or we can test for Cushing’s disease. Her symptoms don’t match either of those diseases. The only symptom is hair loss. She’s lost about a pound of weight, but has a lot of energy, drinks enough water and eats her food. She's the sweetest thing and doesn't mind wearing the jackets, sweaters and t-shirts, but I'd like for her to have her own normal coat of hair. Please help!!

Attach file:

jpg  January 2007006.JPG (100.01 KB)
2154_45e4a528ec691.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2007/2/27 17:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Dachshund Hair Loss - symmetrical on back, head, ears, and legs, bald on belly
alpha wiener
From san diego, CA
Group:
Registered Users
Wow she really is losing her hair ...but what a cutie. How old is she? She doesn't look like a cushings pup at all....
I would stay away from the cortisone cream if she isn't itchy or irritated. What type of food do you feed her? Is she a Black and Tan?

Posted on: 2007/2/27 18:32

Re: Dachshund Hair Loss - symmetrical on back, head, ears, and legs, bald on belly
wiener wonder dog
From Alabama
Group:
Registered Users
She could have pattern baldness or "alopecia" that can happen with Dachshunds, but my understanding is that it is usually only behind the ears, the chest and belly....maybe someone else will have some better input. Good luck! She sure is a cutie even with the thinning hair!

Posted on: 2007/2/27 22:00

dachshund denizen
From Chile, Southamerica
Group:
Registered Users
there is a doggie on dogster who ahs a similar problem.His name is Nunu, he is a mini b&t.If you search him and are a member of the site, maybe you can pm his mommy and talk about it.He is going to be COLD on winter, for now I would buy tons of sweaters.

Posted on: 2007/2/27 22:05

weenie on a walk
From Charlotte
Group:
Registered Users
I feed her Nutro Small Bites. Yes, she is a black and tan and approx 2.5 years old. The hair loss began on the stomach and chest and has expanded from there. Another thing I researched was "Estrogen Deficiency," but the risks of putting her on a supplement aren't worth it. There is an increased risk of cancer. I would never want her to have hair that badly. As you can see in the pictures, she likes her hoody the best and has plenty of jackets, tshirts and sweaters. Thanks for your support!

Attach file:

jpg  020407_16071.jpg (47.04 KB)
2154_45ec4bafccdaa.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMG_7412.JPG (112.71 KB)
2154_45ec4bf75f146.jpg 959X755 px

Posted on: 2007/3/5 12:58

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Quincy, MA
Group:
Registered Users
She sure is a cutie pie! You are a very good mommy to make sure she is warm with sweaters and jackets and to have her checked by a vet to try to find out what is making her lose her hair. But if nothing he does test wise, gets any results, you may want to consider another vet opinion. Sometimes a different view can see something the first one missed. Nutro small bites is a great food for skin and coat and I have been feeding my smooth black and tan doxie that since he was a puppy with great results. His coat is soft and shiny. I have just started giving him a supplement with Omega fish oil in it as the winters here in the northeast are very dry. Good luck with your little one.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 14:22

weenie
weenie_weenie
What a doll and I think she is beautiful with or without hair. What a great mommy you are making sure she is nice abd warm.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 19:56

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index