Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Growth Chart
dachshund denizen
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know of a good miniature growth chart? I have a minature named Dusty, he is 6.5 months old and 10lbs already. The breeder said to only expect him to grow 12lbs. Is he putting on weight to quickly or will it slow down as he nears his 12lb mark. We are very careful about overfeeding and he isn't greedy, ever since we got him he has sprouted like a weed. Our other mini Roxie is 4 months and 5.5lb, smaller than Dusty at that age. Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  100_2441.jpg (438.97 KB)
3686_474cbf692d015.jpg 1632X1232 px

Posted on: 2007/11/27 21:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Growth Chart
Friend of Hotdog Blog!
Group:
Registered Users
It is hard to say. Some dachshund puppies grow very quickly, slow down considerably around 6 months and only add a few more pounds. Then there are other lines that grow slow and steady til the doxie is around a year old. In my experience if he is 6 1/2 months and weighs 10 pounds, I would think that he will be above the 12 pound mark at one year.

Wish I could be more helpful but unless I could see several generations along with weights, it's just a guess. How much did mom and dad weigh? This is not an accurate way of determining weight either because they could pass on standard genes from further back in the lines.

There are some people that have formulas that they use but your best bet is know how much the past 3 generations on both sides weighed.

Posted on: 2007/11/27 21:49

Baron (Baronin) von Wienerschnitzel
From London, Ontario, Canada
Group:
Registered Users
Sadie weighed 8 - 9 pounds around 6 - 7 months and toped out at 10.2 pounds from about 9 months on.

I believe that Ozark's doxie Rocky is standard size from two mini parents, just goes to show you that anything can happen. When you notice his weight has stayed the same for a month or so and he's old enough (around 9 months) make sure you switch him to adult food or he could gain extra weight from the extra rich puppy food.

Posted on: 2007/11/27 22:29

dachshund denizen
Group:
Registered Users
wow that would be something if we have a standard instead of a miniature, I really hope this is just a growth phase, I didn't know I was suppose to switch his food over at 9 months so thanks for that information.

Posted on: 2007/11/27 23:16

weenie
weenie_weenie
Since mini's are bred down from standards, two mini's can and do produce standards!
Many suposed mini's turn out to be what are called "tweenies". A true mini weighs 11 lbs. or under at one year of age!
In the show ring a mini must be under 11 lbs. to show as an adult.
Most standards are 16 lbs. and above. Therefore those dachhunds between 11 and 16 lbs. are refered to as "tweenies", between a mini and standard.
A 13 lb. dachshund cannot compete as a mini, and is too small to effectively compete as a standard, so they are shown in a class called, "American Bred"!
George is a small standard weighing in now at 17.5 lbs., he is neutered now and about a lb. overweight, not fat, Grace was shown as an "American Bred", when showing she weighed 14.6 lbs., she is now 16.2 lbs.
George and Grace's pups that I kept are now 20 months old and Mocha weighs 10 lbs., and Coffee weighs in at 12.3 lbs.
The three other pups today weigh in at Lacy is 11 lbs., Roxie grew to be a standard her parents report that she is 24 lbs. and not overweight! The male Kobe is now 16 lbs. and not overweight!
George and Grace were supposed to be mini's!
According to my vet records at 8 weeks the pups weighed:
Moca 2.6 lbs., Coffee 2.7 lbs., Kobe 3 lbs., Lacy 2.2 lbs. and Roxie 3.8 lbs.
My best guess is your dog will be either a "tweenie" or small standard when full grown!
I hope this helps....dottie

Posted on: 2007/11/27 23:37

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Isle of Wight, England
Group:
Registered Users
Anton and Otto are now five months old, and Anton wighs in at a colossal 8 kg (17.6 lbs) He isn't fat either, and obviously still has some growing to do, if his new teeth and paws are anything to go by! Otto is a mere 6 kg (13.2 lbs) and quite skinny. He won't be as huge as Anton, but may end up bigger than Hughie, who is a 'solid' 7.5kg (15.4 lbs). Harry is just over the 11 lbs mark, but he says that middle aged gents like him are able to carry the extra without looking fat! And Heather.... one NEVER asks alady's weight!

All the parents were 'proper' minis......

Posted on: 2007/11/28 4:28

dachshund denizen
From Champaign, IL
Group:
Registered Users
Clovis is also a little larger than anticipated. Both his parents were under 11 lbs, but he's 4 months and already 7 lbs! He was only 3 lbs when I brought him home at 10 weeks old.

We don't really care - he's super cute and is a sweet boy!

Posted on: 2007/11/28 10:47

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News
Vaccines--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Part 2
Titers--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Interviews

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index